Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Four States in One Day

I still find it strange, having lived in Alaska and now Texas, that you can drive through a state or multiple states in such a short time.  We left our cozy diggs in Massechusettes early on Monday and managed to make our way through Connecticut, New Hampshire and into Pennsylvania all in one day.  We could have also added New Jersey because it was spitting distance across a bridge we drove by but Jeff wouldn't take the RV over it and then have to find a place to turn around - lol!  He said it's not about putting stickers on the map (it's not???)! I'm so mad at myself.  As we are leaving Massachusettes I see a sign that says Walden Pond State Reservation.  It was only 20 minutes away!!!  Instead of playing a botched game of Bocce Ball, I could have been standing right where Henry David Thoreau got his inspiration for writing Walden. I could have driven there in the car - dang! That ate at me all day as we drove along. Oh well, another reason to stop back by. Jeff and I both said that we will return to Maine someday. It really was beautiful and we both love the ocean. And of course, now I've got my awesome kayak:-)
Shagbark Hickory - so many different types
of trees - I bought a tree book!
So not much adventure crossing through the other states.  We ended up spending the night just inside the border of PA near the Delaware River, near the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. We headed back this way for two reasons.  We don't want to get caught up in all that I-95 and east coast traffic.  The other reason is because Jade's best friend from San Antonio is spending summer with her mother just outside Harrisburg, PA.  They've been texting this whole trip and I think it's the only reason Jade agreed to get in the RV.  She has asked us every few days, "When will we be in Pennsylvania?".  So at noon yesterday we had a lovely lunch with the best friend, her little brother, and we got to meet her mom.  Gosh, the girls are  just as nutty as one another, totally 13-year-olds!  They are planning a sleepover the minute they both get back. 

Jade and her friend Anica
We headed south to our ultimate destination which was Gettysburg.  We made reservations to take a Horse Tour of the Gettysburg Battlefield at the National Riding Stables.  We were not disappointed.  The area is actually a National Military Park and so many of the historic buildings are still standing and they've done a great job of identifying buildings and objects from that era.  There are signs in front of many of the houses that explain that they were used as hospitals either for the union or confederate armies. There are hundreds of monuments to the different regiments from both sides of the war. The entire 2 hour tour was narrated and our three guides were all extremely knowledgeable about that time in history and the current area.  What an experience to hear the story of the 3 day battle and to know you are actually riding across the battlefields.  Toward the end of the tour we heard Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address.  It was pretty emotional; I had tears in my eyes thinking about what had happened at the sight.  As a teacher, it makes me wish that every kid could have that experience.  I know Jade and Mya won't forget it.  Jade must have said 30 times after we got back, "That was fun!". I think the horse ride was the best part for them but maybe when they return to this subject in their history classes they will think back on what they learned here. 
Jeff on Thunder
We each had our own horse: Jeff rode Thunder (a retired NY police horse!), I rode Chip (I think he had a hangover - he kept yawning, he walked slow, and he had a bad attitude!), Jade was on Punky and Mya rode Jimmy (who liked to get up close to the butt of the horse in front - she had to keep pulling him back). About 2 minutes into the ride we discovered that Mya is also allergic to horses!!  I heard her sneeze as we rode out of the stables and though (oh, no!).  I think the longest time between sneezes was about 10 minutes.  Poor things eye was all red and running.  When we stopped at the halfway point, she got some water and a rag and tried to wipe off her face.  It helped for the return trip. 
Chip (with a hangover)

Before we went out we got a lesson on how to ride the horses.  How to get on (hold their mane, not the saddle horn - that hurts their backs, pulling their hair doesn't bother them), how to steer (some respond to Western style, some to English style and this has to do with how you hold the reins and tell them what direction you want to go), not to get them too close together or beside each other (they might bite or kick). We all did great until we got into the barn as we are putting them back in their stalls and the horse in front of me decides to stop and pee which Chip didn't like so he backs up and rears up and I thought I was going to land right in the horse poop and pee.  Luckily, instinct kicked in and I grabbed hard on the reins and held on with my legs.  Good lord, my legs were shaking when I got off.  Jeff laughed!  Dang chip had also kicked Thunder in the process. He must HAVE had a hangover - he was cranky. 

Mya on Jimmy
I know I've said this before but each time we visit a National Park I am so grateful that they exist.  Each one is so unique and the people that work in them are fabulous and so knowledgeable.  Maybe I'll be a ranger at one when I retire!  Better yet, I'll just tour around the states visiting all of them:-)  I believe in our journey south we might pass by the Shenandoah National Park.  Hmmmm?  I'm going to look that one up right now.

Time for a toddy.  I think I will toast the brave men and women who died here - 51,000 in just this battle. Mind boggling. Sure wish I'd paid (payed?) more attention in my history classes. (maybe English too - lol!)
Jade on Punky

No comments:

Post a Comment